Tuesday 18 November 2014

10 Ways to Pick Yourself Up

Photo credit unknown

It's that time of year where the days are getting shorter, colder and greyer (in the Northern Hemisphere, at least), so I thought it might be nice to share some ideas on how to pick yourself up when you're feeling a bit down. It's so important that we look after ourselves no matter what time of year it is, so these tips can be used whenever you need them. 

1. Tea fixes everything.
 A good brew can do a world of good. It's something that I often forget, but when I do remember, I always feel loads better after a nice hot cup of tea in my cutest mug. Add a cookie to the mix and things couldn't get much better! If you aren't a fan of normal tea, there are loads of herbal teas to choose from which also do the trick. I love jasmine green tea, and camomile and honey.
Photo credit @charlielanks

2. Listen to music.
There's something about music that can really soothe the mind and soul. Make a playlist of your favourite uplifting or happy songs so that you don't find yourself listening to music that only makes you feel more down. Snuggle up with a blanket, close your eyes, and your toes will be tapping along in no time.

3. Talk to friends.
Venting to a friend can help you process a problem and work out how to solve it, and make you feel better in the process. Chances are, you'll end up having a good laugh too. Smiling releases magical chemicals in your body that make you feel happy, so all in all, you're likely to feel loads better after a good chat with a friend.

4. Snuggle.
A cat. A dog. A teddy. A parent. A boyfriend/girlfriend. A friend. Sometimes all I need is a hug. I don't know what it is, but it just makes me relax and let go.

5. Meditate.
I've read lots about the benefits of meditation and mindfulness, but it wasn't until recently that I actually gave it a go. And boy does it live up to everything I've read! Just ten minutes helps to clear the mind so that you can tackle whatever it is that is getting you down. I use a great app called Headspace which I thoroughly recommend, especially for beginners like me.

6. Get outside.
Even if it's pouring with rain, getting outside and exploring is a great mood lifter. Wrap yourself up in your favourite woolies and throw yourself out the door. It's the getting out that's the most difficult part - once you're out there you'll be so pleased you left the house.

7. Make something.
Whether it's scrapbooking or painting, baking or jewellery-making, getting creative can do a world of good. I have a scrapbook where I draw, paste in gorgeous photos and magazine clippings, and write my favourite quotes, phrases and lyrics. 

8. Read a good book.
Removing yourself from the online world can be really therapeutic. Build a fort with sheets, fill it with cushions and blankets, and grab that book you've been meaning to read.

9. Appreciate nature.
Whether you decide to plant some seeds, buy a cactus or a bunch of flowers, or hug a tree, appreciating nature can really perk you up.

10. Write a to-do list. 
When you're feeling down, it can be difficult to get stuff done. Write a to-do list in a pretty notebook, set yourself a goal for how many you want to tick off that day, and then get started. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel when you can start ticking things off the list!

What do you do to pick yourself up?
Much love, Bemsy x

P.S. If you've been feeling down for longer than a few days at a time, it's worth going to visit your doctor.





0 comments:

Post a Comment