Tuesday 5 March 2013

Destination of the week - Ponza...



Raise the sails in Ponza, in the Ponziane Islands!

As my friend was taking a peek in my wardrobe the other day, she was amazed (and discouraged) by the number of stripes there was. I don’t know I just like stripes.

This week I’m taking you to the Mediterranean sea, in beautiful Ponza, which is part of the largest Italian archipelago (the Ponziane islands). Since Ponza is in the middle of the sea, usually the destination of cruises or boat travelers, you can take a ferry from many cities in Italy (I have Formia in mind) to go spend a beautiful sunny day, feel the vibe of the sea as you walk down the twisty roads and put on your tanned Italian sailor look.


Talking about looks, that’s where I’m supposed to tell you how stripes are a reminder of the uniforms worn by sailors, but I guess I’ll show you how they have been influential in the world of fashion in the past years.


Throughout the seasons, Dolce&Gabanna has presented a travel-ish, casual but not too sporty look in its spring/summer fashion shows. I love how large and small stripes are mixed with buttoned vests. Some celebrities have even taken it to the next level on the red carpet.


Katy Perry vs Alexandra Burke... Who do you think wears it better?

For spring/summer 2013, Dolce&Gabanna is still embracing the stripes, but this time with a collection called “candy stripers”. Less sporty, more casual-chic; less white and blue, more colorful.



Back to Italy… As you arrive in the small port of Ponza, you are directly brought into the life of the place. A small market with red tomatoes like you’ve never seen, the shop of a local painter, restaurants where you might want to drink a lemonade, because Ponza is very hot in the summer. I remember so well when I took this picture, the temperature might have been near 40 Celsius degrees.


As you continue walking on the main street, you’ll discover amazing little places. One in particular caught my attention and I decided to enter. I might have mentioned it in my Montreal article, but when you travel, don’t be afraid to discover. Get out of the box, and ditch the whole “traveling-guide” thing (but use it for reviews and for not getting lost!!!). And so, I entered the shop, and I must say, it was like Ali Baba’s cave. Rings, earrings, pendants, clocks, shoes, hats, scarves; everything you cannot imagine in a shop of 5 by 5 meters, if not smaller.


After spending at least an hour in this place, you’ll love to walk through the small roads of Ponza, passing by the appartments of the Italians, and realizing that there once was an ancient city there. Some of the “adventurous type” might want to rent a bike and visit other places of the Ponziane islands.

So, dear readers, If your planning to travel by boat this summer, or visit an island or a destination near water, make the most of your trip by adapting your style to your environment. And you don’t have to try too hard! Match these Mango shorts with a colorful shirt, or this Zara dress with a light scarf with prints.



Do you want to visit Ponza? Have you been already?
Lori xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment